Wednesday, February 12, 2014

How It All Began...

If you had asked Ryan and I a few months ago if we were ready to start a family, we would have laughed and told you that we were not quite there yet. With Ryan still in graduate school and having only been married 2 years, we were still enjoying our newly married life with just the two of us (plus our 2 crazy pups). Ryan and I both wanted kids in the future but hadn't planned on it anytime soon. So I guess you may be wondering now, why on Earth have we decided to adopt from ETHIOPIA?!?!

Well here is how our journey of faith began...

It was a regular Sunday in December (December 8th to be exact) and we were headed home after church. We were driving down the highway talking about random things when it happened. I can't even remember what we were talking about, but the topic of adoption was brought up for the first time. Keep in mind, I have never seriously thought about wanting to adopt and neither had Ryan, so this was a very "out of the ordinary" conversation. We began talking about kids and our future and I "jokingly" said how I've always wanted to adopt an African child. Much to my surprise, Ryan AGREED with me (which he never does)! He said that he thought the same. Well by this point, I am thinking that we are just being silly and messing around, so I said "Yeah, well I would want 2 brothers so that they could have a friend." Again, much to my surprise, Ryan said "That's crazy, I had the same thought about brothers!" Okay, by this point we are laughing at each other because this conversation seems crazy and so far fetched for us. I mean, we haven't even tried to have biological children yet, and here we are talking about adopting 2 African boys. Pure craziness!

We got home and went on about our day. Everything was back to normal until we both found ourselves restless that evening. God was speaking to us and it was crazy feeling! I can't lie, I was TERRIFIED! I mean it's not everyday that God says to you "Hey Megan, I need you and Ryan to go adopt 2 African kids"!?! Ryan and I both were shocked and so we sat at our kitchen table and we prayed. We just asked God to simply show us what to do.

Weeks went by and adoption was still on minds and hearts. We prayed, talked, researched, emailed and did everything we could to become educated on the orphan crisis in the world and how the adoption process works. It is truly amazing to read and watch stories of so many families that take in precious children all over the world!

Finally after meeting with pastors, family, and friends who had been through the process, we began to sense God was telling us to go for it. Now, that is easier said than done. Not only do you have to consider the GIGANTIC cost factor, you have to think about all the work it will take to become parents to orphans, especially older children. We prayed and prayed and prayed that God would confirm it to us somehow.

He didn't waste much time. Our answer was confirmed the very next day at church with a sermon about taking a risk, being faithful, and doing what God has called you to do, even if it is scary. God even confirmed the country we had chosen when this scripture was used in the sermon.

As for Philip, an angel of the Lord said to him, “Go south down the desert road that runs from Jerusalem to Gaza.” So he started out, and he met the treasurer of Ethiopia, a eunuch of great authority under the Kandake, the queen of Ethiopia. The eunuch had gone to Jerusalem to worship. Acts 8:26-27

You can listen to the sermon here.

After this and several other "God" moments kept happening, we decided to apply for adoption with America World Adoption Agency. This Christian based agency came highly recommended and we felt very comfortable in our choice to go with them. 

About 10 days later, we were approved to begin our adoption process in the Ethiopia program!

We have a very LONG road ahead of us emotionally, spiritually, mentally, and financially. What we need the most is everyone's PRAYERS! We are excited, happy, scared, nervous, anxious, and so much more, but we feel confident knowing that God has called us to do this big thing and that He will see us through.

Thanks for taking the time to read about our journey and please check back for updates. 

Love, Ryan and Megan

6 comments:

  1. I so admire your strength as a couple to accept the blessing and challenge that God has placed before you, many of us would run and hide from such a calling. I pray that God will open doors for you guys and when one closes, that if it be His will, he opens a window! Love you guys so much and am honored to have the opportunity to pray for the two of you and the boys that God has called to be raised by great Christian parents like the two of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shane and I are SO excited and support you guys 100%!!! We promise to pray for you, encourage you and support you. Thank you for listening to God's voice and for living radically! We can't wait to see/meet the children God places into your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan and Ryan,
    I am so happy for you both. Y’all are going to be absolutely wonderful parents! This is such exciting news to me. I will pray daily as you go through this journey! Although it may be challenging at times, just remember to have faith in each other and in God. Let me know if you need anything:)
    Congratulations! Love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing guys this is awesome, wish you the best!

    Ssuan Ross

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I couldn't think ofmore perfect parents to take this on! I'm so excited for you guys and extremely proud of you two for listening to what God is calling you to do! I'm thankful for our friendship and I will do anything I can to help this process even if all you need is prayer and encouragement! I can't wait to watch the journey unfold! Love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Megan and Ryan,
    Wow...how wonderful for you and for our family. Todd and I are so impressed with your decision to follow your calling.

    We love and support you,
    Uncle Todd and Aunt Barbara

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message!